Sat 05
1st XV
H Bone (3), C Dutch, C Craig, K Chettleburgh, R Falls, N Horton (2), A Lowe, J Millais (3), C Buisson
C Dutch (4), M Sage (3), R Davis-Horne
14 try Manor thump Ruislip.

14 try Manor thump Ruislip.

By Martin Pearl
Share via


Manor travelled to West London to play Ruislip with a squad showing 5 enforced changes from the squad that beat Southend the previous week. Ruislip hasn’t in the past been a happy hunting ground for Manor but with the hosts struggling this season Manor showed their class and scored 14 unanswered tries to record an emphatic victory.

Manor kicked off the match playing up the slope and were soon in control of proceedings pressurising Ruislip’s try line but a combination of good defence then a Manor knock on brought the initial attack to a halt. Ruislip held their own at the first scrum and cleared the ball to touch for a Manor lineout, the visitors then had to make a change in the front row when Brad Burrell suffered a shoulder injury and was replaced by George Cosmo.

Manor didn’t have to wait too long for their opening points when from the lineout Kirk Chettleburgh caught the ball at the back of the lineout allowing Manor to set up a driving maul, when this was brought to ground illegally and with the ref playing advantage, the ball was fed to Rhys Davis-Horne who put in a cross-field kick to winger Harry Bone. Here the young flyer caught the ball, beat the first defender then cut back inside the second defender before racing over the line despite the attention of another two defenders. Cameron Dutch was successful with the conversion attempt giving Manor a 0 – 7 lead after 5 minutes.

Ruislip now had a period of possession for the first time in the match but their attack was fairly one dimensional using their heavy forwards to try and bash holes in Manors defence, but Manor repelled all attempts to break through their line and when Ruislip’s backs tried their luck, they two had no joy.

Manors second try came after a good break from Dutch, he gathered a kick from Ruislip and ran back 10 meters before chipping the ball over the approaching defence, he then raced on and gathered the ball taking play into Ruislip’s 22. As the last defender approached he passed the ball out to the supporting Bone who went in under the posts for another 7 point score, 0 – 14 to Manor after 10 minutes.

Again Ruislip had a period of possession but it was all centred around the halfway line, eventually Manor turned the ball over allowing Aaron Lowe to break up the middle of the park, when stopped he recycled the ball to Davis-Horne who kicked ahead where Bone gave chase. He got his foot to the ball first kicking it into Ruislip’s 22 where he gathered it before being brought to ground. The ball was again fed to Davies-Horne, this time he kicked the ball into the dead ball area where Dutch won the race to the ball, gathered it and took it close to the posts for Manors third 7 point score, 0 – 21 after 19 minutes.

Manors discipline was letting them down a bit and they gave away a couple of silly penalties, each time though Ruislip kicked to touch for a lineout and each time Manors Tom Christopher stole the throw in.

After sustaining some pressure Manor turned the ball over and broke upfield with powerful runs by Chettleburgh and Callum Craig before winning a penalty which Horton kicked to touch 25 meters from Ruislip’s line for an attacking lineout. The ball was thrown long to Chettleburgh at the tail, he gathered it, charging past the scrumhalf he set off towards the try line showing a turn of pace, he then managed to break through the wingers attempted tackles and went over in the corner for Manors fourth, bonus point try. Dutch just missed with the difficult conversion attempt but the scoreboard had ticked on to 0 – 26 after 30 minutes.

With the half coming to a close Manor had time for one more score. From another penalty won at the scrum Horton kicked to touch giving Manor a lineout 15 meters from Ruislip’s line. Christopher again won the throw in allowing Manor to set up a well structured driving maul which Ruislip were unable to counter and as Manor went over the line Craig was the beneficiary claiming Manors fifth try of the half. With the conversion successful Manor had increased their lead 0 – 33 and although Ruislip ended the half with some much needed possession inside Manors half, they did not look like scoring.

Ruislip kicked off the second half and for the first time in the match threatened Manors line with a clever kick ahead from their scrum half into space in front of Manors posts, but Bone was alert to the danger and quickly covered the kick, gathered the ball and put in a long clearance kick.
At the lineout Ruislip gave away a free kick which Horton took quickly moving the ball along the line where Lowe made a break, when he was stopped Manor were awarded a penalty which Horton again took quickly moving the ball into the middle of the park where Chettleburgh made ground before feeding Rob Falls, the flanker went towards the try line, dummied his man, cut back inside and went over for another try. The conversion was missed so the score stayed at 0 – 38.

Ruislip to their credit didn’t give up and again came back at Manor but after soaking up some pressure Falls stole the ball at a ruck allowing Lowe to clear the ball into Ruislip’s territory.

It wasn’t long though before Manor added to their tally, from another well worked lineout catch and drive space was created on the blindside which allowed Horton to race in unopposed from 22 meters out and with the extra points taken by second half substitute and debutant Mike Sage, the scoreboard moved on to 0 – 45 with 10 minutes of the second half played.

Manor were in total control of the game and after a series of forward runs Falls broke through a number of tackles before the ball was moved out wide where Carly Buisson barged his way through a couple of tackles and when finally stopped popped the ball to Lowe who went over the line from short distance. With the conversion missed Manor had hit 50 points.

Manor scored again, this time immediately from the re-start. Christopher caught the ball and proved difficult to stop as he drove forward, with the ball made available it was moved swiftly along the line where Sage made the initial break making 30 meters before drawing his man and passing out to winger Jamie Millais who raced in over the line from Ruislip’s 10 meters line. The touchline conversion was missed, 0 – 55 after 16 minutes.

Ruislip couldn’t stem the flow of points from Manor, again Falls made a powerful run before Bone made ground eventually being brought down meters short of the line, with Manor forwards showing their superior fitness they secured the ball and it was fed to powerful winger Millais who crashed through a couple of tackles for his second try of the match. The conversion from out wide was successful taking Manor to 0 – 62 after 25 minutes.

From the re-start Manor, through Tom O’Connor made inroads through Ruislip’s tiring defence before the ball was move to Bone, he again showed his pace as he made 40 meters up field before linking up with the supporting Chettleburgh, he in turn fed Horton who raced in over the line from 22 meters out to score his second try of the match. With the successful conversion the scoreboard moved on again to 0 – 69 after 30 minutes.

Manor were soon on the offensive, again Stone made the break gliding through a gaping hole in Ruislip’s defensive live, after making 25 meters he popped the ball to Falls who took the ball to ground, with quick ruck ball set up Manor moved the ball swiftly out to Buisson who was out wide, he set off towards the try line bashing through the last two defenders before diving in at the corner for yet another try. The touchline conversion was missed and the score moved on to 0 – 74.

The penultimate Manor try came from a poor Ruislip lineout where Manor turned the ball over and after some interplay Lowe found himself with the ball inside Ruislip’s 22. He raced towards the line with a defender in front and Chettleburgh to his left with a free run to the line, instead of the draw and pass, Lowe dummied and tried to beak the defender but was stopped. Luckily it just delayed the inevitable as Manor quickly recycled the ball, moved it back along the line out to Millais on the wing who strolled in for his third try of the match. The conversion was missed but with time almost up Manor moved the score on to 0 – 79.

Still there was time for one more Manor try and this was the best individual try of the match. Manor again stole a Ruislip lineout and the ball was moved to Bone just outside his own 22. Here he showed his pace as he set off along the line, outpacing the covering defenders. He took play into Ruislip’s 22 where he broke through two or three tired tackles to go over the line to cap a man of the match performance with his third try. With the conversion good the ref brought to a close the very one-sided contest with Manor the victors 0 – 86.

Ruislip have had horrible start to their league campaign and ended up the match with 13 players on the park due to injuries suffered during the game. But Manor showed how much they have learnt and improved and now have the killer instinct to keep the pressure on teams right to the end. In previous seasons Manor would have taken their foot off the gas and not scored so many points.

After the game Mark Farrell, Manors D.O.R said ‘Our game plan was well executed today. By yet again winning the gain line battle our forwards took control of the game setting up our platform to attack through the flanks, this was exemplified with both our wingers scoring hat-tricks.
Our attention quickly turns to our next home game when we host local rivals Woodford, a fixture we have been looking forward to since they were promoted last year.’

The selectors will have a difficult task when choosing the squad for next weeks game, no one wants to miss out on the opportunity to play Woodford, but with some impressive performances against Ruislip coupled with a number of players again available for selection, there will be some disappointed players next week.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 05, Oct 2019



Meet time



Meet at Ruislip RFC.




London 1 North

League position

Eton Manor